INTERVIEW | Kazuki Yamada | "My quest is to find the perfect balance between silence and sound"

In conversation with Kazuki Yamada
Interview on 26 April 2024

Kazuki Yamada, © Zuzanna Specjal


"My quest is to find the perfect balance between silence and sound." These words by Kazuki Yamada - spoken during a conversation I had with the conductor in late April - may paint Yamada as a mystical figure, a coolly detached musician-philosopher. Yet, the discussion with the Japan-born conductor revealed a more complex picture, uncovering a likeable and unmistakably genuine personality who brought thoughtfulness and musical insight to our discussions. This dynamism of character and musicality undoubtedly played an important role in Yamada's current international standing, as his recent appointment as Music Director of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (in addition to his ongoing commitment as Artistic and Music Director of Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo) shows.

Below is a transcript of our conversation, where we discussed, for example, his day-to-day life as an international conductor, his personal philosophy behind concert programming, taking advice from Seiji Ozawa, leading the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo, and the music of Mahler and Bruckner. Minor edits have been made for readability.

[Note. All interviews on the website are approved by the interviewee/manager prior to publication.]

I.

Young-Jin Hur (YH): Welcome, and thank you for making time today. It’s a pleasure to have you as a guest.

Kazuki Yamada (KY): Thank you for having me, too.

YH: So, I’d like to start with a general question. How are you today?

KY: I am very fine (KY laughs). I just had a concert last night at the Philharmonie in Berlin. I’m just a little bit more tired than usual. Apart from this, I’m fine.

YH: I understand that this was a debut with the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin (KY nods). How did the concert go?

KY: We played Rachmaninov’s Second Symphony, which is a familiar repertoire for me. It worked so well. The orchestra was great but so was the audience. Overall, it was an amazing experience; there was a sense of unity with everyone involved. Already from the rehearsal, there was a very good level of communication between the orchestra and myself. It’s such a great orchestra and I was very happy.

Last night was especially special because it was also my debut at the Philharmonie. I could imagine that Maestro Karajan, who used to conduct so often in the same hall, was together with me on the podium. For this reason, I was a little bit nervous in the first half of the concert and felt a bit more at ease in the second half; of course, the first half was also amazing. 

We played the female composer Morfydd Llwyn Owen’s Nocturne, which is an interesting piece. We also played Brahms’ Violin Concerto with Frank Peter Zimmermann – as you know, he is just, “wow!”, and he is someone who is at the very top among violinists. So that was an amazing concert. 

YH: I am very happy to hear that. Given that it was such a big occasion for you, did you have a small celebration afterwards?

KY: Yes. Backstage, we had the post-concert celebration as usual but we also had some champagne. I then had a small dinner with my managers. It was a great time for me.

YH: I know that you have all these huge debuts coming up, including your debut with the Berliner Philharmoniker. Whenever you have these big concerts, do you take a few days off afterwards or do you jump straight into your next project? 

KY: It depends. Of course, a conductor can choose which works they would like to perform. However, we cannot always plan the schedule of our concerts. Sometimes, we can be very busy after a big concert. For me, I currently have a slightly busy schedule. I already had a concert in Madrid last Sunday. After the concert, I took an aeroplane immediately to Berlin. On Monday, I was already at a rehearsal. Whenever I have such a busy schedule, I have to make sure that I keep myself switched on – and then when I finally have two or three days off, I can switch off a bit. On other occasions, I can relax a bit by taking a holiday for a week or two.

YH: It sounds like the schedule can sometimes be intense. Do you have a certain method or technique of keeping yourself switched on?

KY: Actually, no. If I concentrate on the music, for example, when I read a score, I will automatically be switched on.

Usually, if I have no rehearsal, I escape from music entirely. I don’t listen to much music, whether it is classical or not.

YH: So this is when you’re switched off?

KY: Exactly. I take a distance from music. This is the 21st century – if I may say so, it is difficult to escape from noisiness. In cities, many people make noise. It is getting difficult to be exactly in silence. Of course, I can work 52 weeks nonstop. But if I cannot take time to experience silence, it is difficult to exactly feel sound. Sound and silence are connected. All music starts from silence and finishes with silence. My quest is to find the perfect balance between silence and sound.

YH: Do you have a practice to keep in touch with silence? For example, do you travel to nature or somewhere quiet, or is it about staying at home and experiencing the calm of the everyday?

KY: Without music, I can enjoy silence even with my family. Sometimes I can also go into nature, but I realise that I do not have enough time to do it - especially if it is outside of the summer holidays.

[Note. In 2016, I wrote a short essay on the representation of silence in classical music, which can be accessed here.]


II.

YH: I’d now like to return to the topic of debuting with orchestras. You have recently debuted with some of the world’s greatest orchestras and are also debuting with some of them in the upcoming months and years. When I looked up the concert programme for these debuts, I couldn’t help but notice that you often start each concert with unusual, underplayed repertoire before you conclude the evening with a more traditional symphony. I was wondering what your reasoning was behind this innovative programming.

KY: I thought it would be an interesting thing to do. Of course, as I am also a Japanese conductor, so I wanted to introduce some Japanese pieces. For example, I will be playing a piece by Takemitsu for my Berliner Philharmoniker debut.

The programming of a concert is very important, as it represents the direction of a concert. One can say that programming is already half of the concert. I always try to come up with an interesting programme and think about how to connect pieces within a programme by a certain sound, a story, or even history. For example, in the programme of yesterday’s concert, the Owen and Rachmaninov pieces were both composed at the beginning of the 20th century. While Brahms’ piece was composed a bit before these two pieces, I felt that the sound worlds of the three pieces had something in common. For example, all three composers wrote in traditional harmonies and keys, as opposed to being experimental.

YH: I see your point. To a certain degree, Rachmaninov’s music sounds very much like Brahms’ music, because it looks into the Romanticism of the past century.

KY: Yes, yes.

YH: Do you have slightly different philosophies of programming depending on where you are performing?

KY: The way I programme is quite similar across countries, even though Japan can be a little bit special - I was born in Japan and I conducted a lot in Japan already. Still, there are certain ways I like to programme my concerts regardless of where I am. When I conducted a Mahler symphony cycle during my time with the Japan Philharmonic, I introduced each symphony with a short Takemitsu piece, for example.

YH: I can see that your innovative pairing of repertoire existed back then as well during your tenure in Japan. By the way, the pairing of Takemitsu and Mahler is very appropriate! I understand that Takemitsu admired Mahler. I recall being drawn towards Takemitsu’s music for the Kurosawa film Ran - it had much in common with Mahler.

(both laugh)

YH: Talking of Japan, according to your biography available online, you wish to bring this “Japanese feeling” to classical music. I would like to know what you meant by this.

KY: How can I put it? When I conduct, I often think of the differences that exist between Japanese people and Western, European people. People in these two cultures can be opposites to each other. Maybe it is the same in Korea, but in Japan, when one notes down home addresses, we start from the larger area before going through the smaller areas in descending order. For example, we start from the country and then go to the city, and then the street. However, in Europe, it’s the opposite. People talk about their street first before they talk about their city; the country comes last.

YH: Ah yes, indeed.

KY: You can also see something similar in the way people write down their names. In Japan, the family name precedes the given name – the family is the larger entity. That comes first and then comes me. In Europe, it’s the other way around.

I feel this difference represents a difference in the philosophy of seeing things in the world. In Europe, the individual is important. What is most important is that “I’m here, I’m here.” The smallest details are most important and life happens as an individual existence or “I live in myself.” On the contrary, in Japanese philosophy, each individual always lives within larger things. In Japan, an individual can never be an “I” sometimes – much depends on what surrounds an individual, things bigger than the self. This could be nature, family, or society... this largely depends on the situation.

YH: Everything seems contextual.

KY: Yes. 

YH: And do you believe this Japanese way of looking at things corresponds to a specific musical practice or output? As in... in Japanese art or films, for example, there is a specific Japanese quality to them, and you can immediately notice this quality. So I'm wondering whether, in the context of conducting, there is such a thing as a Japanese sound.

KY: Yes. We all have our own imagination and how to take this imagination to music is my question. I can visualise music somehow and, for me, the image I have in my mind is very Japanese. 

YH: I see. I've also read that you had close contact with Maestro Seiji Ozawa. Did you ever discuss with him some of the things you've just said, regarding this unique Japanese feeling in music? As he was also a Japanese conductor who spent many years outside of Japan conducting world-leading orchestras, I wonder if you shared some thoughts.

KY: Actually I was not a student of Seiji. I only met him three or four times, actually. But we had a strong connection. He gave me a lot of advice.

YH: Was there any notable advice that he gave, one that you still think often about?

KY: Yes. He once gave me this interesting piece of advice: "Don't conduct big." 

YH: What do you mean?

KY: His advice was to not conduct with too much action. Seiji thought that if a conductor conducts with big gestures, the orchestra will not follow the conductor somehow. But if a conductor conducts with small gestures, the orchestra will concentrate and follow the conductor somehow. It's about how to get the orchestra's attention. 

YH: I see.

KY: But it's funny because when he was young, he conducted with very big gestures. 

(both laugh)

YH: I was actually just thinking that! 

KY: But when I met Seiji, he was already more than 70 years old. But interestingly, I couldn't sense that he was any different than someone 30 years old. A maestro can say, "When I was young, I was like this" - but he never said things like that. 

YH: Do you think he had a youthful soul?

KY: Yes. He even took advice from young conductors. Importantly, I think he always thought he was at the same level as the young conductors. He always felt he had to become a better conductor. 

YH: Maybe he could conduct in small gestures because he had the experience. Maybe age plays a role.

KY: I think he had the experience over the years to know how to conduct with a small gesture. It was by his experience. Of course, every conductor needs to experience things and realise many things by themselves. But what Seiji wanted to give to many young conductors was not a shortcut. Rather, he wanted to simply say something and did this with great energy. 

YH: And once you received the advice from Seiji, did you change the way you conducted? (YH laughs)

KY: I did so very often. Some of his words can be like strong alcohol... not beer, but something like whisky or vodka. It's very much like heavy medicine. I worked very hard to take his advice. Maybe it was a little bit difficult at the beginning, but now I can understand things a bit better. 


III.

YH: You have been the chief conductor and artistic advisor of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra since the spring of last year. How do you feel after working with the orchestra for a year?

KY: The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra is an amazing orchestra. I love them so much. They are always so positive and they are always smiling. So even though the financial situation in Birmingham is not so easy, we can be very positive. It's a special, energetic orchestra. I just cannot believe how good and positive the orchestra is. I am super happy there. And I have said this multiple times... I know there are many great conductors in the world but I can say I am the happiest conductor. This is a feeling I always have with them.

[Note. Soon after the interview, Kazuki was announced as the Music Director of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.]


YH: That's amazing. Given your position as the leader of various world-leading orchestras, do different orchestras require different types of leadership?

KY: In Monaco, I work as the principal conductor and artistic director of the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra. Being a chief conductor there, I have to take care of many, many things. I have many executive rights. But I also have to attend all auditions for new recruitment, and I have to make decisions on many, many things. But the UK system is a little bit different. In the UK, I can concentrate almost only on music.

The two orchestras also address me in different ways. At the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra, the orchestra members address me as Maestro or Maitre. Maitre is a French word that means boss. So they address me as Boss Yamada, Maitre Yamada, Maestro Yamada, or generally as Yamada. But in Birmingham, from the first day, I was Kazuki. Even the concert titles are written as "Kazuki conducts Brahms", "Kazuki conducts Beethoven", and so on. 

In Monaco, as music and artistic director, I have to be like a father to the orchestra. I need to take care of them, oversee everything, make decisions on everything, and keep life going somehow. But in Birmingham, I can concentrate on the music more.

YH: I see. Which one do you prefer?

KY: I like them both. I can learn many things from both ways. As for being an orchestra's father... you know how people say that parenting is the hardest job in the world. The father's role is never easy. But of course, being a partner has its own challenges. I'm learning a lot from both ways. It's almost like having a family. 

(both laugh)

YH: You've said that you can concentrate more on music in Birmingham. Do you have a specific musical theme you would like to develop in the future? 

KY: We will see. Next season will be my second year as the chief conductor. We will be doing the ninth symphonies of Mahler, Bruckner, and Beethoven. The repertoire circles around the theme of farewell. Now that there is a great relationship between the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and me, I feel that we are prepared to take on this kind of repertoire. It will be a big challenge, but we will see. 

YH: In other words, you are aiming for the big symphonies. 

KY: Yes. This represents the beginning of our relationship. And then, we will take on some operas in the future. The City of Birmingham Choir is especially a great and unique choir and I will be conducting the choir, too. 

YH: That's great. Indeed, I noticed that you're conducting pieces that require big choirs, like the Verdi Requiem and some Mahler symphonies.

KY: Yes, I love them so much. 

YH: Is there a big difference between conducting an orchestra and conducting a choir?

KY: Many people sing in a choir and so the two forms should be different to conduct, but it's not so different to me, actually. In a choir, the human body is the instrument. 

That said, the human voice is very special. The human voice can be more direct in terms of making music, in terms of feeling the music and its emotions - you are not expressing your musicality through another object. That is why I love conducting not just purely orchestral pieces but also pieces with human voices. 



IV.

YH: You may be aware that this year is a big year for Anton Bruckner, as it is his 200th birthday. I noticed that later on in the season, you are conducting Bruckner's Fifth Symphony. Did you plan things this way to celebrate Bruckner's anniversary year?

KY: Yes, of course, I want to celebrate Bruckner's year. But I didn't think much about the anniversary when I was programming the season. I didn't conduct Bruckner so much when I was young, even though I liked his music a lot. But I felt it was a little bit too early for me to take on this kind of repertoire. I thought I had to study very much to be able to conduct Bruckner one day. 

YH: Could you tell me how you first came to conduct Bruckner?

KY: My first Bruckner symphony was the Third Symphony - when I was around 30 years old. My next significant Bruckner-related encounter happened around four years later after I conducted a concert with the pianist Ivo Pogorelić. It was a special concert and I loved his playing so much. So after the concert, I asked him backstage whether we could do more concerts together in the future, to which we said, "We will see - why not?"

But in that meeting, Pogorelić gave me a very interesting piece of advice. He said, "Please study Bruckner... please study Bruckner." Of course, Bruckner didn't write any significant piano pieces. But Pogorelić thought that Bruckner's music is so complex and includes so many things that if you can study Bruckner's music and understand it so well, you can be a much better musician somehow. It was a good piece of advice. That is when I thought that it was the right time to start conducting more Bruckner. In other words, Pogorelić pushed me to start studying Bruckner. 

Nowadays, I try to learn one Bruckner symphony per season. So I have created myself a formula of performing one Bruckner symphony per season. So far, I conducted the Second, Third, Fourth, and Ninth Symphonies. I will conduct the Fifth Symphony this year. Then I will try the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, and First Symphonies. 

[Note. In my interview with pianist Nikolai Lugansky, the pianist also expressed his excitement about the symphonies of Anton Bruckner. The interview can be accessed here.]

YH: That is a fascinating story. It's also interesting to know that many conductors seem to wait to conduct Bruckner. However, based on our conversation, it seems that you were able to conduct Mahler's symphonies early on, even though Mahler's works were of similar huge proportions as those of Bruckner. What was it that made Mahler a bit easier to conduct when you were young but not Bruckner?

KY: There are differences between the music of Mahler and Bruckner. Bruckner's music always is or wants to be near God. However, Mahler's music has a different message. Mahler's message is: "We are alive - I am alive - I am struggling." For this reason, Mahler's music is very, very dramatic. This is unlike Bruckner's music, where drama is a small thing - it's not an important component of Bruckner's music. Bruckner painted long lines on a big canvas. It's always interesting to compare Mahler and Bruckner. We have two composers who have opposing tendencies. They may be related somehow. Mahler learned through Bruckner, after all - but their music is very different. 

YH: And I can imagine that the dramatic music of Mahler may fit younger conductors. On the contrary, Bruckner's music seems slow and meditative. 

KY: Yes.

[Note. For opinions on the differences between the music of Mahler and Bruckner, please read my conversations with conductors Edward Gardner and Paavo Järvi.]

YH: Do you think Mahler and Bruckner attract different types of people?

KY: Hmm... people can love both composers. Let me put it this way. Life is difficult... and I think both composers had different ways to address this topic. Bruckner addressed life's difficulties by looking at life from above. On the other hand, Mahler addressed life's difficulties by focusing on everyday life.  

YH: What you said resonates with me. If life is hard, one can either take a step back and imagine an ideal world without pain or suffering. But it is also a valid approach to take on life's difficulties directly and dramatise, or even try to find beauty in the everyday. I think that's a great way to look at the differences between Bruckner and Mahler. 

KY: Yes.

YH: I would love to continue this conversation with you, but I realise it's quite late already. I would like to thank you for your time today. This was a wonderful chat.

KY: It is the same for me as well. This was amazing. Thank you. 

YH: Thank you very much.



Kazuki Yamada, © Sasha Gusov



Young-Jin Hur
@yjhur1885


© Where Cherries Ripen / Young-Jin Hur